Perched on a hillside of Kissavos, at the entrance of the Tempi Valley, Ampelakia has been recorded in history as the village where the first cooperative was founded (1778), which dealt with the dyeing and trading of red yarns, produced by processing of the plant "rizari".
During the cooperative's operational period, Ampelakia enjoyed great prosperity and growth, as the cooperative numbered 6,000 members, had 24 workshops and 17 branches throughout Europe.
The character and the old glamor of the settlement have been preserved until today, as the visitor can tour the narrow cobbled streets and admire the wealthy merchants' mansions, a sample of 18th century local folk architecture, influenced by the European baroque.
Seventeen mansions are preserved today, with the one of Georgios Mavros, or Georgios Schwarz, being of major importance and operating as a museum.
Sights in Ampelakia also include the Churches of Saint Georgios and Saint Paraskevi, the building of Episkopi, dating from 1763, the Folklore Museum of Ampelakia and the Museum of the 1940-1949 Ampelakia Period.